Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thing 6 and Thing 7: The Fantastic World of RSS

OK. I am now officially in love with RSS feeds. I am slightly ashamed to admit I have never used them before. I signed up for Bloglines, and added all of the things we were supposed to add in the exercise. I really like their top 1000. I found websites I liked, websites I forgot about, and sites I visit regularly.

I have to say however that I also started Google Reader and like it better. I may keep Bloglines for professional purposes and Google Reader for my own fun, lame, gossipy stuff. :) Seriously, this has the potential to save me so much time in my life. I don't have to surf from page to page, it is all there for me. If I want more I can always go to the main site, if not, eh, move on.

As far as library usage goes, offering an RSS feed to a library blog would be a great way for people to stay on top of what's going on at the library. This is still way in the future as far as my library is concerned, but still. I must say that I am learning a lot from these "things". :)

No comments: