Monday, October 27, 2008

7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners

I can see why this was one of our first tasks on this little learning journey. It really helped me to bring into focus what I want to learn and what I want to accomplish by incorporating what I learn into the everyday operations of our library.

HML (Hastings Memorial Library) has a fantastic library facility with 6 public access computers, color and black and white printing capabilities, a scanner available for public use, and wireless internet access. So while from the outside it seems we are keeping up with technology, a closer look will most definitely change your mind. Our main push right now is to get our collection fully automated. We are almost there with only non-fiction and biographies left to go. The next thing I want to do is establish a web page for the library. The tutorial really helped me to outline what I need to do.

I think the easiest habit for me will be to begin with the end in mind. I know what I want to accomplish, and I know how great this will be for our library once it is completed. I can already see the benefits a public presence on the web could be for HML, the convenience of accessing the library catalog from home, a place to let people know what is happening at the library...

The hardest thing for me I think will be to view problems as challenges. I anticipate running into a few roadblocks along the way, and I think my main "challenge" will be to face the problems head on and not let them deter me from what I want to learn and accomplish.

1 comment:

Michael Sauers said...

Yea! Your hyperlink worked! Bonus points for linking to just the single post.